I’ve been praying for you.
Every morning for the past several months, come rain, shine, or snow, I spend a few moments standing out on our back patio, looking at the beautiful western views and having a little conversation with God.
The back patio is my happy place. In the spring, summer, and fall, I try to sit out there every night after dinner. One of my least favorite days of the year is the day I realize it’s too cold to do that, and that it’s time to put the cushions away and cover up the patio furniture.
But a few months ago — I don’t remember exactly when — I decided to go out first thing every morning and pray. It’s something I’d done occasionally over the years, but 2020 prompted me to do it purposefully.
If I know you … heck, even if I don’t know you, I’ve been praying for you. I pray for
- my wife
- my kids
- my sisters and their families
- my biological parents and their families
- my friends and acquaintances
- my neighbors and co-workers
- the country and our leaders
I ask God to bless you and keep you safe, healthy, and happy. The words change a bit from day to day, but that’s the message.
I’m not sharing this because I want to come off sounding holier-than-thou or as if I have my s**t together all the time. I’m not and I don’t. I decided to post this for two reasons:
- Considering how difficult last year was and how difficult this year will continue to be (for at least a good while), I want you to know that someone’s out here praying for you.
- I went through some really difficult days in 2020, and starting the day in prayer always helped. It helped me get over the hump more than a few times. Maybe give it a try next time you’re having a difficult day and see if it helps you as it helped me.
I’m gonna keep doing this in 2021. And hopefully 2022 and beyond, for that matter.